The construction of warehouses, houses, industrial buildings involves the use of building materials, which today cost quite a lot. For their durability, it is necessary to provide protection from temperature extremes, moisture. It should be understood that each element of the building structure has its own requirements, and the type of waterproofing is determined by building materials
Anticorrosion and antifiltration types of waterproofing can be allocated. The second one is used for in-depth (internal) structures. These include basements, tunnels, pools, etc. For surface buildings, anti-corrosion waterproofing is used. Thanks to it, water does not penetrate deep into the materials and the risk of corrosion is eliminated.
Requirements for waterproofing materials
Among the many options, you need to select the material that suits your needs and requirements, namely:
- High strength. Since coatings withstand severe loads and temperature extremes, this requirement is one of the most important.
- Frost resistance. Our climate is rather severe, subzero temperatures are not uncommon, therefore waterproofing materials must withstand different temperature conditions.
- Security. Fire resistance is an important quality for modern buildings, so it is worth giving preference to just such materials.
Types of waterproofing
Despite the one whole task, waterproofing can be of different types:
- By the place of use - external / internal;
- By the method of use - primary / secondary;
- By destination - integrated, superficial, etc.;
- By composition - mineral, bitumen, polymer, etc.
Waterproofing is divided into types according to the method of application. Let's consider each of them in more detail.
- Сoating waterproofing. It consists of one or two components of resin, bitumen mastic and polymers. This composition can be used both inside and outside. The main advantage is the low cost. Durability - 5-6 winter seasons.
- Painting type of waterproofing. It involves applying a special composition to the surface of a building structure. Due to the formation of a thin film (up to 6 mm), moisture does not penetrate the structure of building materials. The term of operation is 6 years. This type of waterproofing is suitable for internal and external works.
- Roll waterproofing. These are roofing material, glassine, materials with a base of polyester, fiberglass. The cost of roll waterproofing is affordable, but the operation time is fast - only several years.
- Impregnating waterproofing. Used for waterproofing of blocks. After applying, a water-repellent film is formed, which protects the material from moisture.
- A mastic type of protection against moisture. Liquid rubber is an expensive material, but it is durable and quality. It is not recommended to use it for the foundation. It is usually used for protection against moisture of a roof.
- Diffusive membranes. They are used for waterproofing of pitched roofs. They have good vapor permeability, are durable and lightweight. The service life is several tens of years.
- Injection waterproofing resembles an impregnating one, as it penetrates into the pores and microcracks of building materials, but it is also effectively used for stone and brick buildings.
In recent years, the most popular materials for waterproofing the foundation are concrete mats. They provide reliable protection against moisture due to special granules that form an insulating gel.
Waterproofing is a complex and important process in construction, therefore, when choosing a material, one should be guided not only by price indicators, but also by their qualitative characteristics. It is advisable that specialists deal with this issue, otherwise the result can disappoint greatly.